Saturday, 3 November 2012

Front Cover Draft

When I created my draft for my front cover I tried to include all the results I received from my questionnaire. For example, 80% of people preferred the colour scheme of purple, white and black so I reflected that onto my front cover. I also used other factors to help create my front cover, like the pricing, spacing of the text and image and what kind of artist to have on the front.

The brand name of 'Revolution' I believe is strong and creates a statement. It stands out against any other competitors and suggests that this magazine is creating a new era for music.

The choice in having the artist 'Ruby' on the front cover is that the name is simple, catchy and rememberable. The pose that the artist will be showing is leaning against a wall/edge of the paper with one knee up. This position shows confidence and attitude.

As an overall I tried to make my front cover, simple, spacious and professional looking. I did not want to clutter the page with too much text, images and shapes as this can look messy and draw readers away.

As to give myself many options, I decided to do 2 drafts of each, front cover, contents page and double page spread. This gives me a good range of ideas I am then able to pick and choose from when it comes to the actual creating of the pages.  

For this front cover I used the colour scheme of green and pink. Often the alternative genre uses clashing colours in order to stand out against the other magazines. It presents an 'alternative' look from the other co-ordinating covers. For this cover, I tried to stick to a simple, column method. From looking at other alternative music magazines, I noticed that they often appear clean cut and in order. They stick to a strict frame, often with columns. So, for this second draft I also followed this pattern. I personally like the way in which it comes across as more professional and for the older, teenager generation- which is my target audience.

The banner on both drafts shows the sentence 'Inside! 2012's most revolutionary tunes'. I chose to include this banner on both as it plays a pun on the brand name of 'Revolution'. Most magazines include a banner in order to enhance their brand and to encourage readers to buy it.  

Throughout this draft, I tried to again keep it simple and uncluttered. I included only one image in order to make the main focus on that particular artist. The limited text in the column style is so that there is plenty of clean, open space in which the majority of the people I asked to fill out my questionnaire agreed that they preferred this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment